David lives in Sacramento California, USA and owns Cheers Over California, Inc., a brand advertising and public relations company which utilizes hot air balloons and airships in its client marketing programs.
David has been flying hot air Balloons since 1999. Always interested in flight, ballooning was the first real opportunity he had to get involved. He took his first balloon ride on May 19 1999, was immediately hooked and bought his first balloon in August the same year. David received his Private Pilot certificate in July of 2000 and his Commercial Pilot certificate one year later in July of 2001.
David was fascinated with the concept of corporate ballooning, using hot air balloons to market a company and its products. Setting this as his ultimate goal, David worked as a crew member on corporate programs including Lipton Sun Spree, United Van Lines, Budweiser, Bacardi Mixers and Energizer, participating in events in California, Oregon, Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona.
David met his wife Shelly when a member of the team brought her out for a fun day of ballooning. David and Shelly were married in the basket of the balloon in 2002, flying off with the entire wedding party as their chase team. Together David and Shelly bought their new "Cheers" balloon and founded Cheers Over California Hot Air Balloons, offering balloon rides and special events in the Sacramento area.
David has worked as the primary pilot and program manager for the RE/MAX Northern California Balloon Program since 2005. With their Cheers balloon and the RE/MAX balloon, David has flown as pilot in command at events in California, Oregon, Nevada, Arizona and Colorado
David and Shelly incorporated Cheers Over California in 2009 and took up corporate ballooning as a full time marketing and public relations venture. David is currently the Owner, President and Chief Pilot for Cheers Over California, Inc. - Cheers Aerial Media, continues as the Manager and Chief Pilot of the RE/MAX Northern California Balloon Program and operates the Valley Children's Healthcare Balloon and Airship program.
Airships: In late September 2014, David and Shelly made a big decision to get into thermal airship operations, something David had dreamed of for years. On that "spur of the moment" decision, David left for Aachen Germany to the Gefa-Flug factory, toured the facility and met with the airship team. He purchased a new airship and made arrangements to have it shipped to California. "Amelia Airship" has now joined the fleet and is scheduling clients for corporate advertising.
David has flown and continues to fly in balloon events in California, Oregon, Nevada, Colorado and Arizona and flying his Cheers Balloon, David has been the sponsored pilot/balloon for Harrah's Reno at the Great Reno Balloon Race since 2003.
David has served as the Pilot Coordinator/Balloonmeister for the Color the Skies Balloon and Kite Festival and the Soaring Over Ripon Balloon Festival in Ripon California since 2010 and the Galt Balloon Festival in Galt California for its inaugural event in 2018.
• 2000: US FAA Hot Air Balloon Pilot Certificate
• 2002: Founder/Owner/President Cheers Over California
• 2005: Selected as Lead Pilot/Manager RE/MAX Northern California balloon program
• 2010: Appointed as Pilot Coordinator/Balloonmeister Color the Skies Hot Air Balloon and Kite Festival
• 2012-2023: President/Board Member Pacific Coast Aeronauts
• 2012-Present: Board Member Pacific Coast Aeronauts
• 2014: UK CAA Hot Air Balloon Pilot Certificate
• 2015: UK CAA Thermal Airship Rating
• 2018: Appointed as Pilot Coordinator/Balloonmeister Galt Balloon Festival
• BFA - Balloon Federation of America
• PCA - Pacific Coast Aeronauts
• SCBA - Southern California Balloon Association
• AOPA - Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
• BBAC - British Balloon and Airship Club
• AMA - American Marketing Association